- 1 cup raw caster sugar
- 3/4 cup coconut oil *melted
- 370g jar apple sauce
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 21/2 cups wholemeal self-raising flour
- 2/3 cup cocoa
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup That Cold Stuff Cold Brew Coffee Concentrate Get it HERE
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 11/2 cups pure icing sugar
- 2 tbs cocoa, plus extra, to dust
- 11/4 cups dairy-free spread
- 2 tbs almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
1. Preheat oven to 160°c. Grease and line base and sides of 2 x 20cm cake pans.
2. Place sugar and coconut oil in a bowl and beat with electric beaters until smooth. Add apple sauce and cider vinegar and beat to combine.
3. Combine flour and cocoa in a bowl and milk and coffee in a jug. Add, in alternate batches, beating after each addition. Stir in bicarbonate of soda. Divide between pans and bake for 40 minutes or until cooked through. Remove and cool in pans for 10 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
4. Meanwhile, to prepare icing, sift 1.5 cups icing sugar and 2 tbs cocoa into a mixing bowl. Add 11/4 cups dairy-free spread, 2tbs almond milk and 1 tsp vanilla bean paste, and mix on low speed until combined and fluffy. Spread half over the first cake then top with the second cake. Spread remaining icing over the top. Dust with extra cocoa.